How A Resident of British Columbia Can Apply For Part VII Benefits?

ICBC allows anyone that has been involved in a motor vehicle accident inside of British Columbia to apply for Part VII benefits. Still, those that care to apply should know how to carry out such a procedure.

Step 1 of the application procedure

Provide ICBC with a written statement, one that gives the particulars, regarding the reported accident. Those particulars, the circumstances and consequences should be sent to ICBC’s offices no more than 30 days after the accident.

Use the CL-22 form, in order to submit the written statement. That form can be completed by a chosen representative, if you have been severely injured, and cannot complete the form on your own.

What to anticipate, after submitting the CL-22 form?

You might be asked to sign and submit a release. That release would grant ICBC the right to obtain and study all of your medical records. No one requesting Part VII benefits is required to sign such a release. Personal injury lawyers warn their clients against signing such a document.

You might also be asked to sign a paper that grants to ICBC the right to obtain information on your wages. Again, you are not bound to honor that request. If you have hired a Car Accident Lawyer Langley, he or she will urge you to refuse both of those requests.

How can the insurer obtain information about your medical condition?

More than one form must be completed, by the accident victim that wants to apply for Part VII benefits. In addition to the CL-22 form, there is a CL-19 form. That second form should be completed by the physician that is treating your injuries.

By using that system, you make sure that any information about prior injuries or about a pre-existing condition do not get seen by anyone in ICBC’s offices. Such information could provide an adjuster with a reason for challenging your claim. Even if the claim were not denied, the compensation offered might be quite low.

How can the insurer (ICBC) get information about your wages?

You could show how much money was lost during your recovery by submitting an old paystub. If you are using direct deposit, then you can show the bank statement, which should indicate when your earnings were deposited in your bank account. If you are self-employed, you must work with your accountant, in order to have a written record of the amount of money that you were taking in, before you got injured. You might have copies of invoices that you sent to customers; those would also indicate the extent to which you had made money, before becoming injured. If you are now getting letters from people owed money, those would speak volumes.