Accident Benefits Available To Drivers That Submit ICBC Part 7 Claim

The Insurance Commission of British Columbia (ICBC) welcomes part 7 claims from eligible drivers. The driver that qualifies for a claimed benefit can take advantage of the Province’s no-fault benefits.

When can an injured driver or passenger submit a part 7 claim?

• When the injured man or woman owns the vehicle that was involved in a given accident.
• When the injured driver carries a license issued by British Columbia.
• If the injured occupant of the damaged vehicle had chosen to ride with driver that was licensed in British Columbia (BC).
• A non-driver and non-passenger can submit a part 7 claim if he or she was a bicycle rider or a pedestrian, and was hit by a licensed BC driver.
• Keep in mind the fact that the person submitting the part 7 claim can be someone that has been named at-fault for the accident that caused the claimant’s injuries.

What money is available to those that receive part 7 benefits?

Money for lost earnings is available to those that have already submitted a request for employment insurance benefits. The recipient of that benefit receives up to $300 per week, with the exact amount dependent on the recipient’s former salary.

Reimbursement for medical and rehabilitation expenses. That includes the amount of money spent on physical therapy, occupational therapy, professional nursing care, speech therapy, rehabilitation equipment, necessary changes in the home and vocational training. The total amount of that particular damage award has been capped at $300,000.

Payment to family in which a loved one suffered a wrongful death, due to the actions of an uninsured motorist or due to the actions of a hit-and-run driver. That payment is meant to cover the costs of funeral and burial expenses.

Can a resident of British Columbia apply for both Worker’s Compensation and ICBC benefits, if injured while using a motored vehicle at work?

No, if that injured worker collided with another worker in a different vehicle, both drivers must use the workers’ compensation; neither of them can seek part 7 benefits. By the same token, if a motor vehicle were to hit another employee within a workplace setting, the person hit by that vehicle would probably have to seek workers’ compensation, with the help of Personal Injury Lawyer in Victoria.

Yet it could be that a pedestrian strode into a workplace setting and then got hit by a workplace vehicle. In that situation, the injured pedestrian would have a right to seek the ICBC benefits, as opposed to the workers’ compensation package.

If the vehicle driven by the injured worker collided with a vehicle that was not driven by another worker, that injured driver must decide between seeking workers’ compensation and seeking ICBC benefits. The insured worker cannot opt for seeking both benefits.